Friday, July 29, 2005

Finding myself

I called Shaliah today to tell her that I'm not going to be coming to Auburn this weekend. She said, "Oh, I guess you need to find yourself."
"Yes, if Kara's around, I'll have her call you."
"Maybe she's wondering the streets with me."
"Yea, maybe they are walking the streets togehter."

So this weekend I guess I'm going to stay here in B'ham. My first official weekend. So far I have learned my way to many of the major highways, malls, and work. All I really need to know, right? And I found a grocery store. Yeah me. I have eaten Thai food, Greek food, and peanut butter sandwiches. I have NOT eaten chicken fingers, or BBQ. I really am so glad I have left Auburn sometimes.

I am still really living out of boxes, though. I sleep on an air matress that has a hole in it, and every night I re-fill the matress with air, only to find my butt on the ground when I wake. Most of my dishes and clothes are still housed in cardboard, and getting ready in the morning means shuffling through piles trying to remember what is clean, and what is dirty. I guess basically I'm living like a batchelor...

My office is much like a closet that no one wanted. As I sit here now, the inventory consists of a filing cabinent, a table, a desk, two computers, a shelf and about about 9 suitcases to haul around eye care equipment in. Sounds classy, eh?

I know that I'm rambling, and if you are still reading at this point, I say "Kudos to you" Because I probably wouldn't be anymore. I think I would have stopped when I started describing my office.

I am really happy right now, though. Some might say that I'm still in the "honeymoon" stage my the move and the job, and I will accept that, it's probably true. It's weird, you know, moving from having my life packed with constantly working on things, to this job where I'm not totally sure what to do, and going home to an empty apartment with free nights, again, not really sure what to do with my free time. I still haven't really found a good place to run, because it's so freakin hilly.

Well that's an update on my life. Not as exciting as other entries, but at least you know. If you have any advise on adapting, good recipies, or exciting things to do in BIRMINGHAM, then let me know!

2 comments:

Phil said...

I hope that at some point in your tenure in B'ham, you find yourself at the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute http://bcri.bham.al.us/general_information/visitus_rental/visit_rent_fn.html

I went there with Sam one day during lunch while we were up there collecting data. :0)

Mommy of Boys said...

Go shopping at the Summit!