Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Skin

I'm blogging at work- don't tell anyone. Sometimes the quiet of the office is deafening, but right now it's kinda nice. Because I can blog. And no one knows. Except all of you who are reading.

A friend
recently talked a little about meeting up with some friends from High School. In the post he asked,

"Why do wounds from high school stick so long?"

This past Sunday Adam and I talked to the middle and high school at our little church community. It was mother's day, so there were not as many teens there, so we had a combined class. It was going to be a class about "THE FUTURE" and whatever that entails- you know making choices, etc. But somewhere in the middle of it I started talking about something that happened to me in 9th grade. Thinking back on it, it really is so silly, but I really do think that it was a wound that has stuck to me and has affected me and planted in me a fear of rejection that has been fertilized by other events only to grow.

I really do think that it's amazing though, how two insecure 9th grade girls deciding that I wasn't cool enough because didn't wear the right jeans has affected me so deeply.

I know it's a weird connection, but I think about the movie Independence Day a lot. When the aliens come, they are virtually indestructible. But towards the end we realize that they are so sensitive once you get past their armor. There is a line in there, as well, about how all human have to protect them is skin. This frail easily cut, burned, severed lining covers all our internal organs, and everything that is holding us together.

Inside we really are so fragile. I wonder if we treat people with the respect, love, and gentleness that is needed to respect their skin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I read this blog, it reminded me of "Sore Spots", and the fact that I wish now that I had added a verse about not being the cause of sore spots on others. Shows how truly self centered we are! May go back and do it anyway. Thanks for reminding me.