Saturday, May 07, 2005

rethinking

I recounted from my post this morning...and you know what I realized:
In the past three years (from today) I have lived in two states, three countries/continents, seven different places. Whew that makes me tired just thinking about it. And by the end of this summer, I will add one more move onto that one. WHO AM I?

Went to Birmingham today to talk to the person who is me right now... who has the job that I will be taking. It was an interesting day. I thought that I was just going for a friendly chat with a fellow VISTA worker (Americorps), but it turned out to be a lot more than that. A lot of information. Some I was ready to hear... some I wasn't yet.... some I don't think that I ever will be. Maybe I will post about that later, though.

Been thinking about moving again- obvious from the earlier sentiments. I just don't want to deal with it all again. Changing all the addresses, making sure I close accounts, and open accounts. Pack up boxes and unpack boxes. Take down and decorate up.

And then there's the friend thing. The whole thing of re-establishing with new people. "where are you from" "what is your social club"...no wait, I'm more mature now, we no longer judge people by that... we have moved now into "what do you do" These presumptious statements begin to define and somehow my identity. My three years of moving from place to place to place, becomes, "I am a _______".

Shesh, I don't want to start over again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the record. . .Lost in Translation is one of the best movies of the year.