Monday, May 02, 2005

What are you doing on Sunday?

a line from an e-mail I recieved today....
"It was good to see you at church. I wondered
if you still went to church or liked God. Nice to know that you do. Talk to
you soon"

Seriously, I was so irate when I read this, I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry. I think that the thing that got me so much was that this person- this person with whom I have had a superficial relationship with for many years now really knows nothing about me, or my about whether I "like God". However, he equated seeing me in church to "liking God". He saw me there, so he assumed that I was still "on the right side" I guess. Man, o man. I love the south. Where all you have to do is come in and make sure enough people see you, and look pretty enough, and leave.

What's really timely about this comment is the discussion that I had with a dear friend of mine who does not believe in "church" and she talked about the judgementalism that she felt here in the "south" because she does not walk into a building on Sunday morning, and yet, she feels like when she looks around, she leads a better life than most of the hulligans that go out to the bar with a Jesus fish on their car. Now, I'm not against the bar...but I am against profaning the name of Jesus when one acts like they are better than someone else because of what they do on Sunday morning, dismissing the rest of their.... or the other person's life.

Am I rambling, or is this a truth that we really need to hear...I need to hear?

No comments: