Sunday, August 28, 2005

looking for community

So I'm going to visit a new small group tonight. Mexican theme. I made salsa. It's too salty, but it'll have to do, because on my VISTA budget, you can't afford to make things twice. I've blogged about this before, but trying to find community sucks a lot of the time. But I guess it's worth it for those moments of great.

I had some of those- the great moments- this weekend. I was in Auburn on Friday, so I decided to spend the night with the Commanders and stay until Sat. So many amazing times of community. Lunch with Julie, and hearing hard things that I needed to hear. Meeting with Ellen and being reminded of the bond that we have. Time with Phil and David and remembering who I was as the token girl in the band of brothers. Running 11 miles Sat morning with Shailiah in a time when I really thought that I was going to have to quit running, because I couldn't do it anymore (but realizing that I just missed her company). Laughing with Jenn and Amy and remembering what it's like to be a mentor to 15 year old girls who respect you, even if they know that you don't have it all together. Talking to Teresa, and realizing that single guys at 45 are just as stupid and boring as those at 25. Meeting with Adam and walking though the arboretum. Just feeling loved, accepted for who I am, with no sense of having to be anything that I'm not.

So I'm going to this small group. I am already fearing the questions. The "getting to know you". The small talk chit-chat surface meaningless games that we all play with each other. But at least I'm going, right?

'ole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry about the salt, its my fault.