Sunday, December 11, 2005

What is the cost of freedom

Someone once said, "I do not agree with your opinions, but I would fight to the death so that you can have them." If I wasn't so lazy I would look up who it was.

The University of Alabama (War Eagle) has gotten itself into quite a pickle recently. It seems that one of the staff writers (a female, nonetheless) for the campus newspaper the Crimson and White has begun a sex column. I went online and read some of the back issues and it's pretty raw at times speaking about condoms, masturbation, etc. It has caused quite an uproar on campus. Some students have spoken for and against, Parents have spoken out, and some alumni have even written in, threatening to pull scholarships.

It's almost funny to me. As if parents are realizing for the first time that their sons and daughters might be having sex in college. Oh, no, surely not here in the south, where the magnolia trees bloom and the pearl necklaces shine and everyone is pretty. Things like that do not happen.

Even if they do, we do not talk about it.

So maybe that is the difference. Universities around the nation have had sex columns for years-- people admitting that it happens on a campus where the hormones of 20,000 men and women are pulsating as they roam the pathways.

I'm not saying that I'm for the column. Well maybe I am. But I'm not for it for the reason that most people may be for it. I don't agree with a lot of what the writer talks about. I think that she cheapens sex and cheapens herself in the way that she talks about it. I think that by making it so blasee she also can make others think that it is ok to sleep around without any emotional or spiritual repercussions-- and I don't believe that this is true. However, I don't believe that we should pretend sex is not happening at the University of Alabama. Jeeze people, it's happening with my 14 year-olds at Ramsay High school. Let's be real.

I also believe in freedom of speech. There are some crass republicans out there that want to give huge tax cuts to rich people and cut programs to low-income families to pay for the deficit. I strongly disagree with it, in fact, it makes me want to hurt them and I shout at the radio, but I do not believe that my personal views are reason enough to pull them from their post at the paper. If I truly believe in the freedom of thought and speech, then I have to fight for the thought and the speech that enrages me. The one that I disagree with so much that it makes my blood boil. It is only then that I can say that I believe in the freedom of speech.

Do you agree?

4 comments:

Brian T. Murphy said...

There are two issues here:

1. Freedom of Speech
2. Evangelicals are anti-sex

I don’t think I care much about freedom of speech. It’s an american freedom, and I don’t really care about america. It’s nice to be able to say what I want, but truthfully, my freedom of speech is far more moderated by my desire for people to like me than by anything else. Other people can say whatever they want, and if I disagree I will just hate them. This is not a big issue to me. However…

Evangelicals are anti-sex, and this is a major issue. Children are made to feel like sex is dirty and sinful, and this causes all sorts of problems. This situation in Tuscaloosa is very interesting to me. I say let the sister write her story.

I hope I can figure out a way to not be anti-sex with my kids, but also instill some sense of sexual responsibility in them. Sex will most likely just be yet another area where I mess up my kids and give them baggage.

I think I’m getting the flu. Blood is leaking out of my ears. Is that bad?

Anonymous said...

if anyone needs to make the curvy hand motion (ow ow) it's me at you Ms. Hot-stuff-i-run-80-miles-a-day! With your blonde hair DREAMY. I can't wait to watch you beat the midwestern boys off you at New Year's! Work it. . work it. .! HA!

What a riot. we are going to have so much fun.

As for the post, I say write your sexy articles what do I care.

Next thing you know, people'll be wanting to burn Salinger's stuff again. Oh boy. I always loved that about Holden, he used the word sexy all the time. I think I'm gonna bring that back.

For now I gotta say, it aint sexy to be bleedin' out your ears dawg.

Wadard said...

Sex is such a natural thing, it such a strong and deep rooted desire in all living things except amoeba, it is best left to each individual to come to grips with their sex and sexuality. If God had wanted sex to be bad he would not have made it the most fun thing to do with your clothes off. What God would give each person a sexuality and not expect them to revel in it. And if God didn't want us to have children he would not have made sex withing a loving relationship the best sex there is.

Wadard said...

.... and look at how frustrated and twisted amoebas are, they have to split themselves in two.