Thursday, December 08, 2005

What would you do for love?

A woman was sentenced to three years in prision for abuses in Abu Ghraib. She said she was trying to please her boyfriend.

The other night I was reminded of Susan Smith, the woman who dressed her two children for the day, strapped them into their seatbelts, talked to them about the day- peanut butter sandwiches and Dora, drove to a boat ramp, released the emergency break, and for a week told the world that they had been kidnapped by a black man. She was trying to please her secret boyfriend.

But these are extremes, right? These are the things that made the news. These are the crazy people.

Today I was talking with someone and she is really struggling with life right now. She met a guy, promises were made, and now-- three years later-- the promises have been broken. She moved to a new city for him, ate every meal with him. His friends were her friends. She is having to re-learn life. How do you re-learn life? Re-learn to shop for one, cook for one? Wake up to one. She's not crazy, but right now she feels like she is.

I heard a guy talking about the orientation that we have in our love toward God, and he spoke of how all of the realtionships that we are in are broken. We underestimate God, because we can only think of his love in human terms.

We can't imagine a relationship with no brokeness. How can we imagine love personified when all we know is being hurt. Sure there is some good, but it is always mixed up, sown among the wrongs we have chosen to forget, or at least move past.

5 comments:

Brian T. Murphy said...

I sometimes find incredible hope and beauty in broken relationships. I think that's weird, but really true.

This planet, for example, is really broken and screwed up, but breathtakingly beautiful at the same time.

Then again, I also like to drink the blood of rabid sheep, so what do I know?

do you like hem?

Kara Newby said...

but is it in the brokeness that you revel, or because you have seen the brokeness, and therefore see these moments of beauty when things seem to be repaired? redeemed?

Because the planet is so broken, the moments of seeming fullness seem..fuller in it's contrast?

I like HEM. It's taking some getting used to. I couldn't listen for a while because it was a little too depressing. Have you ever listed to Cowboy Junkies? I hate to compare bands, but that's what it reminds me of. I like it though. Like it more, the more I listen to it. Thanks. I'll return it someday.

Brian T. Murphy said...

hmmm. not sure I'm understanding this dialogue completely. This would be a lovely conversation if not for this virtual interface.

I'm more just saying that things are almost always at the same time broken and beautiful. This is a very interesting idea for me. It's changed the way I view a lot of things.

HEM is taking time to get used to? That blows my mind. you are the first person to ever say that, since I think Eve (she was the second human on the planet if you believe in genesis). I guess it is similar to cowboy junkies in that they both utilize female vocalists and encourage activities like suicide for their listeners. But they are different in that HEM IS FAR SUPERIOR. Like if they were in battle there would be cowboy junkie blood EVERYWHERE. Plus HEM regularly uses this thing called a symphony which is a wonderful approach to song crafting.

Phil said...

I think we hide behind our brokenness a lot. C.S Lewis said it pretty well in "The Weight of Glory" when he said, we are far too easily content and used a boy preferring to play in a mud puddle when invited to a holiday at the beach, as an illustration of this. I think that God offers us so much; He has come to give us life, and that more abudantly; or He has come to bind up the brokenhearted and to free the captives.
Often we just don't know what we're looking for or how to find it or even how to start. We often get our hopes and dreams so caught up in a person that we forget so many other things. And we need to be reminded how to see things clearly.
What would you do for love is a question that followers of Christ have to answer every day, being that how we love others can be an expression of how we love our Heavenly Father.
The question comes down to "What do you love?"

Anonymous said...

i know that i'd love to share some news with you.
call me! Cheers.
steph