Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Blessing

I had a pretty intense day yesterday. I left for Macon county at 6 in the morning (most of you know I'm not really pleasant in the morning...espically THAT early in the morning), my co-worker and I screened about 120 kids in three different HeadStarts for vision problems, packed it all up, drove back, and went to debate practice. The kids had decided that they didn't want to have practice on Tuesday, rather they would like an EXTRA long practice on Monday. We finished at 9, and then I took 2 of the kids home. I got home (for the first time all day) at about 10:30.

There are a lot of things that happened yesterday that I would love to share with you- some that I'm sure i will over the course of the next couple of days, but one thing that keeps sticking in my mind is how exhausted I was, but how, being there with the kids was really good last night. So many days are so frustrating and hard, but yesterday was really just such a great day. They all worked so hard and were so kind.

At about 7 we went and got them Chinese food. Before we started to eat, one of the kids said, "We need to have a blessing." One of the boys was nominated, and he stood up as we all sat around this table we sit at on a daily basis, and this fourteen year old boy said something similar to these words:

"Father, thank you for showing us your glory. Continue to lead us in paths of rightousness. Thank you for this SpeakFirst team, for they have enlightened me so much. Help us all to be in love with each other, because I really do love each person on this team."

Why do am I always so prideful to think I have anything to offer these kids when they have so much to teach me?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome...i also like how your kids called ya black
deke

Phil said...

I think that's why it's so important to just be available to be used. You might think that you offer a service in teaching, but it might just be the service of listening. What you offer might not be what you think you are there to give.
That might be why I get so uncomfortable when I am put on the spot and asked to share something, instead of just offering it in conversation: people ask for one thing, when they actually need something else.