Tuesday, November 01, 2005

wwj....drink

Tonight I went to a comminuty group for a church that I've been visiting for the past couple of months. It basically consisted of a group of people my age getting together, drinking wine, making pizza and laughing (and there was a little dancing, but I won't get into that right now). Though we didn't pull out the Bible, or have some forced, formal discussions, we had community. It's interesting to me thinking back on my time at Harding, the fact that if I had done what I did tonight, four years ago, I would have been kicked out. I did nothing illegal, immoral or unethical, and yet I technically could have been dismissed from school and would not have a college degree. So funny to me. Where I come from.

And then tonight I was thinking about Jesus and him hanging out with his friends. Never does it say, "Jesus and the disciples had a meal, and after the meal, at the appointed time, Jesus pulled out the torah and began to interpret the law. They then took prayer requests and Jesus prayed for them all." Why has this become the perscribed way to do community? I think that Jesus sat around and drank wine with his friends and laughed and talked about the things that were deep on his heart, but it wasn't because it was a forced aloted time.

I pray that my life, and the time that I spend with others is redeemed into community.

5 comments:

Brian T. Murphy said...

Hmmm. I’m interested to hear more about this Harding place. Sounds like a place that could use a good burning, and by burning, I mean complete, flaming, blazing destruction.

CG is a weird place, but I kind of love it. It’s been fascinating to realize how much that group of people is there for eachother when they need it. We laugh and dance and drink, but there are times when someone has had a bad day or week and everything stops and everyone listens, and no one tries to fix anybody. One night I said that I had a really hard time with the Bible, and the whole group sort of breathed this sigh of relief, and then we all talked about how hard the Bible is to believe. It’s interesting that for me, learning how to love people better has made me feel closer to Jesus than the Bible ever has…

Glad you are apart of this thing Kara…

BTM

Anonymous said...

oh hell. i don't know why i don't call you when i need it most. (rolling eyes now) i went to my small group last night and it felt like a migraine sitting through it. i left thinking "what the hell is wrong with me?" now they want to do a beth moore series. (roll eyes more) great. i freakin' think beth moore is rad but i don't want to sit and look up words in aramaic. do i smell like cheese or something? seriously, i think i just don't fit you know. ughh.

where are you going to go to law school again??

jesus & community. . . i don't know where to find him.

Brian Harrison said...

Goodness Kara! Watch out..whenever I read your blog I'm at none other than Harding University...and what would they think if they knew that I was associating with you, an alumna who obivously has gone astray. I might get thrown out of this institution!...On second thought, drink away and brag about it as much as you want to.

Kara Newby said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kara Newby said...

seriously Brian, if anything, reading by Blog and associating with me can ONLY help you. If you haven't been kicked out yet, surely reading this freakin blog isn't can't be the reason they do the deed.