Sunday, November 13, 2005

I may not be able to dance....

(setting: Homewood High School Debate tournement, they have just posted the match-up for the much anticipated first round of debate, about 30 minutes late. They tape the postings on a wall, creating a scene much akin to a class of 60 all scrambling to find out what they made on the semester exam, and they drop sheets with the postings at a table in the front. One of our debators, Chrystalline, goes to grab a sheet and bring it back for the whole team.
The anticipation is growing.)

LaVentrice: Look at Chrystalline taking her time....look...she's just talkin to that white girl.
(me standing there just staring at her. She looks over at me. touches my shoulder)

"Oh. You Black in my eyes."

I told her I wasn't sure what to say to that, but I think that it might be the best complement that I have gotten all week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, glad you had options tonight:) i didn't. . . but i did go hang out at this girls' apt. with some people. it was alright. i took my crouchetting stuff.
did the kids do good at the tourney??? Love you.

Anonymous said...

oh yea, dude why you gotta lie? like you can't dance. . .girl I saw you at spring sing. . work it work it.

Anonymous said...

hello beautiful friend. how goes it in the birmingham of bama? i love to see your pictures on my little xanga site, i love to hear your thoughts, i love to click on your link and hear your stories and to in some small way share in your life. oh the joys and curses of modern technology. bebo sounds like it was nostalgic, heart-warming but also a bit sad, kind of bitter-sweet. i guess most reflections can be like that. what are your plans for thanksgiving? how are things w/ that one co-worker? i have thought about you a lot in that regard, wondering what is new? how have things transpired, at all? doesn't labor day seem so far away. are you ready for your marathon in december?

Brian T. Murphy said...

Dear Anna Begins - is that a counting crows reference? I hope so.

Dear Kara - moments like that make all the crap about your job fade to grey. Or at least they would for me.

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is long live WP!

Anonymous said...

yes sir brian t. murphy. . . counting crows all the way.

Phil said...

that is a compliment.
:0)