Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Most of you know, because I talk about it all the time, that I work with teenagers. I must have a death wish, or really think that I am a lot cooler than I am, because for some reason I have chosen to do this. Last night was a particularly frustrating night, and in between the constant criticism of my clothes, hair, (insert other physical tangiable feature including race) there are times when they are just rude. I have to remind myself that part of this is literally because developmentally they are at this stage in life where they cannot see beyond themselves, and they are so screwed up in developing their own freakin identity that how can they even begin to imagine that they are being hurtful to me.

But for some reason sometimes when I'm around them I sink back to thier level and I feel like I'm in high school again wanting to be a part of the cool crowd. Last night as I was leaving practice, I was thinking about something that I wrote earlier this year about rejection... and how it really is something that we... that I... deal with just by being a human.

In spite of knowing that the table of the wedding feast is big enough for all, I still want to be invited to sit at the cool kids table.

3 comments:

Phil said...

After thinking about this post, I have two thoughts.
1. Any table you sit at is the cool table.
2. I pictured that scene from "Good Will Hunting" in the park where Shawn basically rips Will's worldview apart. "I don't see some confident young man, I see a scared...little kid."

Take heart...this person probably doesn't know of what he/she speaks.

Anonymous said...

i think teens are monsters. the reason i work with them (and love it) is because i see that and it is a comfort because i know in any moment i'm armed just like them with blows and darts to kill someone else's self-worth. its a cruel stage and they need someone who has enough grace and mercy to love them.

as for the cool table. . . you think the people at the cool table know they are at the cool table? we should ask them.

Anonymous said...

kara, you are funny! i love your thoughts and your heart! missed you in dallas, thanks for commenting on my page, i'll be changing my pic soon. and you know, i think i would still def. travel the far seas and indulge my curiosity despite vanity, i would do it selfishly b/c i enjoy, but i disagree w/ pascal on that quote earlier on in your blog. it's not all vanity, sounds like a cool quote, but it's way over-generalizing and i don't appreciate that! LOVE YOU